If you are having trouble viewing the Annual Report in full screen mode, click here to view the PDF.
MT COVID-19 Update
Planning and Community Services Department Customers,
The Planning and Community Services Department is open. Building, Planning and Code Enforcement offices are to the public.
The Planning and Community Services Department will continue to provide services to you via phone, email and online but will again be available for walk-in customer service from 8 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday.
Permits and plans dropped off may still be paid for over the phone. The Community Development Division offices on the 6th Floor will remain closed to the public and continue to serve customers by appointment by calling 247-8675.
If you do visit our offices, you will find:
- Customers and staff are following social distancing requirements
- Maximum customer capacity in our 4th floor office area is 9 people
- Customer service areas have counter shields
- Some services are available as appointment only – call 247-8676 for more info
- Wearing masks is encouraged while meeting with customers in the common areas
- Meetings can still be scheduled using phone or video conference to manage contact
We appreciate your continued cooperation and patience as we strive to limit the health risks to you and our employees. If you have questions, need clarification for your permit or application, or just need information on our operations, please call us at 247-8676. We are here to help. Thank you.
Planning Division is providing electronic service for all permits and projects
Planning staff has been working hard to adjust daily operations to meet the needs and demands of customers during this unprecedented time. Our staff is working daily answering phones, checking emails and processing plans and applications electronically. To better serve you, we are excited to roll out electronic submittal of all permits and projects. This includes fence permits, certificate of surveys, subdivisions, zone changes and everything in-between!
Beginning Monday, April 3, all applications will need to be submitted via the Citizen Access Portal at
Though we are able to accept all applications through the CA portal we know we still have strides to make in ensuring this portal is as user friendly as possible. Please bear with us as we continue to work towards better serving you.
Additionally, to continue to serve customers and the public, there will be a pick up and drop off area set up in the 1st Floor Conference Room of the Miller Building where customers for Building, Planning and Code Enforcement may drop off materials and pick up completed plans and applications during regular business hours.
If you have questions during this transition or feedback related to how we can improve your experience, please call 247-8676 or send an email to
The Planning Division provides community planning and development services to Yellowstone County, the City of Billings, and the Town of Broadview. They provide the community with a broad service base that consists of:
- Current planning
- Neighborhood and community planning
- Transportation planning
- City Planning Fee Schedule
- County Planning Fee Schedule
- Project ReCode Proposed Fee Schedule
- 2016 City of Billings Growth Policy
- 2016 Lockwood Growth Policy
Involvement in the City, County, and Surrounding Area Downtown Billings Planning Division staff supports the Yellowstone County Board of Planning and the City and County Zoning Commissions and Boards of Adjustment. In
- Policy Coordinating Committee
- Technical Advisory Committee
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- Yellowstone County Historic Preservation Board