What are setbacks?
A "building setback" is the distance between a structure and a property line. An "arterial setback" is that distance between a structure and the center of an arterial street right of way. Setbacks are unique to each zoning district.
Please contact City-County Planning at (406) 657-8246 for further assistance.
In addition to verifying setbacks, knowing where the underground utility lines are located on the property is very important. Please call 811, or go to callbeforeyoudig.org

Show All Answers

1. How do I request a Building Inspection?
2. Where do I obtain a building permit?
3. What permits are required?
4. Are separate permits required? If so, why?
5. Can you expedite my permit?
6. Do I need sidewalks, curb and gutter, and other improvements as part of my development?
7. Do I need site, architectural, mechanical, or electrical plans?
8. How are priorities established?
9. How is the cost of a permit calculated?
10. How long will it take to get a building permit?
11. How many sets of plans do I need?
12. What are setbacks?
13. What codes do you use (years)?
14. What if I am not in the Billings jurisdiction?
15. What is the status of my permit?
16. When can I use a waiver?
17. Why is a building permit required?
18. Who is responsible for the permits?
19. Where do I direct my flood plain questions?
20. Where is my property line?
21. Why do I need a plan?
22. Why is my review taking so long?
23. What are the requirements for egress windows?