What should I do with unused medication?

Unused Medication Disposal

Any unused medications should be taken to an approved drop-off location listed below for safe disposal of prescription and OTC medications (No liquids or sharps are accepted at these locations), see the Guidelines section below for additional information on handling and disposal practices:

  • Solid Waste Administrative Offices at 4848 Midland Road, (406) 657-8260 
  • Billings Police Department at 220 North 27th Street, (406) 657-8460

Guidelines for proper handling and disposal of medications and sharps in the State of Montana are provided by the Montana Department of Environment Quality (MTDEQ), additional information is available from the U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA):

Show All Answers

1. Water or Sewer Service Emergency
2. Garbage/ Yard Waste Service
3. Landfill Hours/ Directions
4. What should I do with unused medication?
5. Call before you dig/ locate requests
6. Utility Account Services & Payments
7. How to File an Arterial Fee Reduction Petition